The Geelong Youth Choir comprises four levels, ranging from the Vivace Choir for young beginners, through to the Chamber Choir for our most advanced choristers. Children progress through the choirs, experiencing developmentally-appropriate repertoire, training, and vocal development at each level.
Find the right Choir your child:
- Vivace (Young Beginners)
- Prelude (Training Choir – Middle / Upper Primary)
- Cantore (Upper Primary / High School / University)
- Chamber (advanced choristers)
There are no auditions to join our younger choirs or our training choir. All children of primary school age who love to sing are welcome to join. Children will be placed in a choir that best suits their age and ability. We welcome you to come along and try a free session so you can experience the program first-hand.
Entry into our senior choir, Cantore, is by audition or can also be accessed after an initial period of participation in our Prelude Choir. Young people between the ages of 10 and 20 years are welcome to audition for our Cantore Choir.
Each week our choristers study sight-reading and musicianship in small groups. Choristers progress through Bronze, Silver, and Gold Levels, earning certificates and badges as they pass each level. Vivace choristers have their training built into their rehearsal.
As a member of The Geelong Youth Choir, you will:
- learn through musical games and song
- sing a wide range of beautiful and exciting music
- experience the joy of singing in harmony with others
- learn to read, understand and express music
- become fluent in the international Kodály Method of music reading
- gain a head start for VCE music subjects (for older choristers)
- improve your aural skills (pitch, rhythm, harmony)
- learn to sing in a safe, healthy way
- use your brain, voice and body in new, challenging and exciting ways
- learn in a nurturing, stimulating, and friendly environment
- experience the joy of creating beauty in sound
- make new friends, and have fun with others who love music
- experience the delight of performance; and
- share our pursuit of excellence.